Nothing says summer quite like Sausages in bread! Our family are big fans of this summer classic, but with years of having the same old over and over again we’ve come up with a great twist on a family favourite. This is already a big hit with the adults!
1. 6 Red Onions, Thinly sliced
2. 1 cup (250ml) lager
3. ½ firmly packed cup (110g) brown sugar
4. 1/3 cup (80ml) balsamic vinegar
5. 2 tablespoons olive oil
6. 12 pork chipolata sausages
7. 12 small bread rolls
8. Mustard and Rocket Leaves, to serve.
1 Place onion in a deep frypan with lager, sugar, balsamic, oil and 1/2 cup (125ml) water. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to low and cook for 40 minutes or until thick and rich, stirring occasionally to prevent onion catching on the base of the pan. Caramelised onions will keep in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 1 month.
2. Meanwhile, preheat a barbeque or chargrill pan to medium-high. In batches, if necessary, cook the sausages, turning for 6-8 minutes or until cooked through.
3. Warm the bread rolls on a rack on the barbeque or in a low oven, then split through the middle, without slicing all the way through. Fill the rolls with mustard, sausages, caramelised onion and rocket.
(recipe from: taste.com.au)